1. Always treat young people with respect and preserve their dignity.
2. Always do what is in the student’s best interest.
3. Seek solutions, not blame.
4. Model tolerant, patient, dignified, and respectful behavior.
5. Use the least intrusive intervention possible
6. Connect with your students and build strong personal bonds with them.
7. Instill hope for success (otherwise there is no reason for kids to behave in your class).
8. NEVER do anything disrespectful, illegal, immoral, ineffective, bad for health/safety, or anything that you wouldn’t want done to you.
9. NEVER give up on a student. Be perturbed with the actions of the student, but keep believing in his/her ability to change for the better.
10. Catch STUDENTS BEING GOOD . . . . A LOT.