Apple cider vinegar: weight loss booster, all-purpose cleaner, stomach soother. A popular kitchen staple, apple cider vinegar (ACV) dates back to ancient times: it’s said to have been used by Hippocrates himself. And while times have changed a lot since then, ACV is still a versatile, well-known item in many homes.
There are tons of ways to incorporate ACV into your daily routine, as you’ll see below and in the comments from Facebook fans (near the end of the post). One of the most popular ways to add ACV to your diet, specifically, is by making a tea or other drink. For example, check out this recipe for homemade Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar Ginger Spice Drink or look below for the perfect drink recipe for new users of apple cider vinegar.
Top 15 Uses
1. Use ACV in place of balsamic vinegar in salad dressing. (See below for an awesome salad dressing recipe!)
2. Add to your morning smoothie, but be careful—it has a pretty strong taste, so add a little to begin.
3. Use it as a facial toner. Mix one part ACV to 3-4 parts water. Apply to skin with a cotton pad, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse. Repeat three times a day.
4. DIY Apple Cider Vinegar All-Purpose Cleaner: 1 part water, 1 part ACV, 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix in a spray bottle.
5. Stomach Soother —Try a "digestion mocktail" with 2 teaspoons ACV, 1 tablespoon each of fresh ginger water and fresh lemon juice, 8 ounces of sparking honey and raw honey to taste. Pour over ice and enjoy! (Ginger is also known for its stomach-soothing properties. Learn more about ginger uses and benefits.)
6. Stop cats from biting cords around the house—rub a bit on a cotton ball and onto the cord every 4-5 days.
7. Use ACV in your bath. Add ½- 1 cup to your bath water along with Epsom salts and lavender essential oil for a relaxing and detoxifying bath.
8. Use apple cider vinegar to get rid of hiccups—the sour taste of a straight teaspoon can stop hiccups.
9. Make a fruit fly trap—Put a thin layer of ACV in a cup with a drop of dish soap. Set it out on the counter and the fruit flies will (hopefully) fly in and get stuck.
10. Get rid of cat urine smell—add it to the laundry when you wash the clothing, blanket, etc.
11. Get rid of bad breath—add ½ tablespoon to a cup of water, and gargle for 10 seconds at a time until the cup is empty.
12. Use apple cider vinegar for a healthy throat. Mix 1/4 cup ACV with 1/4 cup of warm water and gargle every hour.
13. Beat exercise exhaustion—lactic acid buildup in the body causes fatigue, while the amino acids in ACV act as an antidote. Add a tablespoon to a glass of water after a workout.
14. Create shiny, untangled hair by adding 1/3 cup ACV to 4 cups of water and pour over your hair after shampooing. Leave on for a few seconds and rinse with cold water.
15. Use it as a teeth whitener by gargling with it every morning. The vinegar helps remove stains and clean the mouth and gums.
Additional 15 Uses
16. Make "buttermilk" by souring rice milk to make yummy stuff like Cornbread or biscuits (Gluten Free and Dairy Free).
17. Mixed with sparking water; very refreshing and good for the liver.
18. It seems to enhance the taste of the water, encouraging me to drink more. I sprinkle it over my foods, to get rid of the chicken smell of chicken and enhance the flavors of other foods. I use the regular distilled vinegar as a toner, it is a little less expensive
19. Use it to rinse reads. It works great to clean your scalp and remove build up
20. Take mine twice a day with distilled water, honey and cayenne pepper. I use it my salad dressings. I use it for a hair rinse and a facial toner.
21. Marinate steak with it
22. This makes home made tomato juice really tangy every morning!
23. Use it with cucumbers and onions (with some mayo)...makes a great cucumber salad!
24. In water with a packet of stevia each day and a T to a cup of chamomile tea water as a rinse for my hair following a rinse of 1 T baking soda to 1 cup of water. No need of shampoo.
25. Use it in Smoothies.
26. Put a capful into raw rice before cooking and its nice and fluffy. No vinegar taste!!
27. To stop hiccups.... One capful usually works
28. Anywhere it calls for vinegar
29. A great hair detangler, facial toner, internal cleanser, fruit and veggie wash, salad spritz.
30. Use baking soda as a facial scrub and then ACV for toner.