Feng Shui is the ancient art of placement and design that’s used to balance and enhance the flow of energy or “chi” in living environments. A good Feng Shui design would mean that it is built with a good flow of energy in mind; it has an intelligent, nourishing flow.
To create a healthy and balanced (event) design environment, you should use the 5 Feng Shui elements of nature (water, fire, earth, wood, and metal) in different combinations and form in every room of the space. The wood element is related to natural growth and vibrant health. The fire element brings out high energy levels, passion, and creativity. The earth element helps to generate nourishment, knowledge, and stability in your life. The metal element helps cultivate strength, focus, and independence. The water element is all about wealth, abundance, and fluidity. These 5 elements together should all be in balance.
Targeting the 5 Senses
Imagine walking into an event and facing a design that targeted your 5 senses: a nice relaxing aroma, sensations from different textures, radiant visuals displayed everywhere, some whimsical music that gets stuck in your head for the rest of the day, and even perhaps offering something that you could taste. Here are some examples of how to use each of the 5 senses:
Sight: Mix patterns, textures and colors to appeal the eye. Use accent color furniture pieces or accessories to add a pop of personality to the event space. Think of pillows, rugs, lighting and accessories to complement the design concept.
Sound: An outdoor atmosphere with soothing sounds can be re-created indoors with for instance water fountains or even something as simple as a sound system tucked behind furniture pieces.
Touch: Integrate texture into furniture and decorative pieces, such as having a fur wall for your guests to touch and feel.
Smell: Introduce scents like scented candles or scented sticks. You can also use real fruit or fresh floral pieces if you prefer to use more natural and mild scents.
Taste: Serve refreshments throughout your event, such as infused water, coffee, or floral-infused teas. Coffee and tea also play on the sense of smell and can add a special ambiance to the room.
5 Feng Shui Tips
1. Make sure the entrance to the event is attractive and appealing to guests. Several lush plants, beautiful artwork, and/or a water feature could be used to create a pleasing welcome. The entrance sets the tone and expectations of what is to come. Your entrance can build excitement for what is to come so guests are enthusiastic about getting inside.
2. The registration table is a beacon for guests and shows them the way to your event. Set it up so it attracts the attention of the guests. The table should be placed to face the entrance as the guests arrive so the registration agents are behind the table and also facing the entrance. This makes the guests feel confident that everything is taken care of and they can relax and enjoy themselves.
3. Place a fresh flower arrangement on the registration table and arrange some large lush green plants on the floor to the sides or back of the registration table to ensure enthusiasm and confidence for the guests. Beauty has the power to inspire and bring a feeling of abundance.
4. Check the lighting. The entrance and the registration table should be well lighted. Great lighting adds to the feeling of pleasure and enjoyment. Make use of as much natural light as possible, it smooths the transition between the entrance, the table and the event. If the entrance and registration are dimly lit you may have grumpy, unhappy guests that isolate themselves and don’t mingle. Bring in more light if you need it.
5. Choose colors for the registration table cover and accessories that complement the feeling you are creating. Red, orange, and yellow are fire and earth colors and bring warmth and excitement. Green, blue and purple are water and wood colors and bring coolness and comfort. A spot of red at the registration table (if only a flower) enhances the enthusiasm and excitement for guests.