Joint Movements Types Cheat Sheet by Davidpol
How to remember Joint Movement Types
medical joint mnemonic movements
Mnemonic: FEED PIPE CARD SHARP
Joint Actions and Movement
1. FLEXION AND EXTENSION Flexion* Decreasing the angle of the joint Extension – Increasing the angle of the joint Example: bending the knee or elbow Example: straightening the knee or elbow
2. ABDUCTION AND ADDUCTION Abduction: Any movement of a body part away from the midline of the body Example: Lifting arms out to the side Adduction – any movement of a body part towards the midline of the body Example: Bringing arms back towards the body
3. CIRCUMDUCTION: Movement at the end of the bone in a circular motion Generally will occur at the ends of the arms or legs (limbs) Example: Drawing a circle in the air with your fist (straight arm)
4. ROTATION: Any movement of a body part around a central axis This can occur at the shoulder or hip (ball/socket joints) or the neck Example: Turning the head from side to side.
5. PRONATION AND SUPINATION Pronation: Rotation of the hand so the thumb moves toward the body’s midline Supination – rotation of the hand so the thumb moves away from the body’s midline Example – palms facing down Example – palms facing up
6. INVERSION AND EVERSION Inversion: Movement of the sole of the foot toward the body’s midline Eversion – movement of the sole of the foot away from the body’s midline Example: twisting the ankle in Example: twisting the ankle out
7. DORSI AND PLANTAR FLEXION Dorsi Flexion: decreasing the angle of the joint between the foot and lower leg Plantar Flexion – increasing the angle of the joint between the foot and lower leg. Example: raising the toes upwards Example: pointing the toes to the ground
8. ELEVATION AND DEPRESSION Elevation" movement of the shoulders towards the head Example: shrugging shoulders Depression – movement of the shoulders away from the head Example: returning the shoulders to normal position (after shrugging)
Download the Joint Movements Types Cheat Sheet
Your Download Will Begin Automatically in 5 Seconds.