These basic chemistry lab safety rules deal with the safe performance of common activities and tasks in the average chemistry lab:
1. Before you start an experiment, make sure you are fully aware of the hazards of the materials you'll be using.
2. When refluxing, distilling, or transferring volatile liquids, always exercise extreme caution.
3.Always pour chemicals from large containers to smaller ones.
4. Never pour chemicals that have been used back into the stock container.
5. Never tap flasks that are under vacuum.
6. Chemicals should never be mixed, measured, or heated in front of your face.
7. Water should not be poured into concentrated acid. Instead, pour acid slowly into water while stirring constantly. In many cases, mixing acid with water is exothermic.