Pain: Numeric Rating Scale (NRS) Cheat Sheet by Davidpol
scale healthcare pain numeric
Instructions detailing the use of the numeric rating scale (NRS) to assess pain intensity for persons able to self report.
Numeric Rating Scale (NRS) Instructions
Purpose: To assess pain intensity in persons who are able to self report.
When to Use:
1. At initial intake/admission to services.
2. For an older adult in pain, assess at least every 8 hours an older adult in pain, assess at least every 8 hours.
3. Any time a change in pain status is reported.
4. One hour following a pain intervention to assess effectiveness.
5. For older adults residing in long term health care settings, assessments should be completed at each quarterly review.
How to Use: Ask individual to point to the number on the Numeric Rating Scale that best represents the intensity of their pain NOW.
Documentation: Document/record all scores in a location that is readily accessible by others on the health care team.
Numeric Rating Scale (NRS)
Credit: Keela Herr, PhD, RN, FAAN, AGSF
Download the Pain: Numeric Rating Scale (NRS) Cheat Sheet
Your Download Will Begin Automatically in 5 Seconds.