Prevention: The Kitchen
Harmful products in cabinets have child-resistant caps.
Products like furniture polishes, drain cleaners and some oven cleaners should have safety packaging to keep little children from accidentally opening the packages.
Make sure potentially harmful products are kept in their original containers.
Two reasons why products should be stored in their original containers. Labels on the original containers often give first aid instructions if someone should swallow the product. And if products are stored in drinking glasses or pop bottles, someone may mistake it for drink/food and swallow it.
Store Harmful products away from food.
Harmful products placed next to food, someone may accidentally ingested.
Place potentially harmful products up high & out-of-reach for children.
Lock all cabinets with dangerous products is the best prevention.
The best way to prevent poisoning is make it impossible to find it.
Medicines are poisonous if used improperly.
Example: Many children are poisoned yearly by Aspirin overdoses.
Place all harmful products in containers with child-resistant caps.
Check containers are properly secured.
Thrown out all out-of-date prescriptions.
All medicines in their original containers with the original labels.
Treat Vitamins or vitamin/mineral supplements as a medication.
A few iron pills can kill a child.
Secure all cleaning products.
The Garage or Storage Area
Do all these poisons have child-resistant caps?
Are they stored in the child-resistant containers
Are the original labels on the containers?
Makesure that no poisons are being stored in drinking glasses or pop bottles.
All harmful products locked up and placed out-of-sight and reach?
Many poisons in a garage can be swallowed:
Charcoal lighter, Paint thinner and remover, Antifreeze, Rat Poison, ...
Signs of Poisoning
Stains, burns or odor on clothes or skin
Sudden changes in behavior
Drug or chemical containers found open or out of place
Vomiting, dizziness, stomach pain, convulsions, unconsciousness, rapid breathing or drowsiness
What To Do
If you feel a poisoning might have occurred, do not wait for a reaction. Call the Poison Control Center immediately - 800-222-1222. They can tell you whether the ingested substance is poisonous and how to respond.
Keep the child/person quiet and do not induce vomiting.
Quickly determine what was taken and how much.
If you are told to take the child to the hospital, take the container of the swallowed materials, its remaining contents and any vomit with you.
Immediate First Aid
If the child/person is not breathing, begin mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and have someone call 911.
If the child is breathing but unconscious, call 911 and stay with him or her.
If the child is convulsing, call 911 and stay with the child. Remove sharp objects that are nearby.
If poison was inhaled, take the child outdoors for fresh air and loosen tight clothing; open doors to air the building.
If poison touched the skin, remove contaminated clothing, rinse the skin with water for several minutes, then wash the area with soap.
If poison entered the eyes, flush them with lukewarm water for 15 minutes by holding the eyelid open and pouring water from the nose out toward the ears using a pitcher held about 2 inches above the eye.
For bites from poisonous spiders, insects or snakes, call the Poison Control Center 800-222-1222 immediately.