1. We - all human beings - must be free and able to express ourselves, and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas, regardless of frontiers.
2. We defend the internet and all other forms of communication against illegitimate encroachments by both public and private powers.
3. We require and create open, diverse media so we can make well-informed decisions and participate fully in political life.
4. We speak openly and with civility about all kinds of human difference.
5. We allow no taboos in the discussion and dissemination of knowledge.
6. We neither make threats of violence nor accept violent intimidation.
7. We respect the believer but not necessarily the content of the belief.
8. We are all entitled to a private life but should accept such scrutiny as is in the public interest.
9. We should be able to counter slurs on our reputations without stifling legitimate debate.
10. We must be free to challenge all limits to freedom of expression and information justified on such grounds as national security, public order, morality and the protection of intellectual property.